If your vehicle gets broken into, a Trans Pacific Assurance motor vehicle insurance policy will provide you with peace of mind by covering the cost of emergency roadside assistance, helping with payments to repair damages and replacement of stolen goods.
The first thing you need to do is to minimise any risk associated with vehicle break-ins or carjacking:
- Always lock your doors, wind up your windows and don't leave valuables in your car.
- Try to drive during daylight hours – the possibility of carjacking increases at night.
- If you have to drive after dark, do not pull over for any suspicious roadside activity.
- Make sure your auto insurance, safety stickers and vehicle registration are up-to-date.
- Ensure that you are familiar with the roads and area in which you are travelling.
- Stay informed about all road rules and defensive driving tactics.
- If you are driving at night and something is thrown at your windshield, do not stop to check for damage.
Owning a motor vehicle in Papua New Guinea provides us with the convenience of exploring our beautiful country. The ability to drive to and from work and to transport friends and family is an asset. However, break-ins do occur, and it's important to know what steps you can take if this happens to you.
If a break-in or carjacking does occur follow these 7 essential steps:
- Report the incident to the police immediately (within 24 hours).
- Document the scene, record or write down what happened, what has been taken and how your vehicle was damaged.
- If your wallet was stolen, contact your bank to cancel any credit or debit cards.
- Notify Trans Pacific Assurance.
- Consult with your insurance provider about replacing stolen items and getting your vehicle repaired.
- Have a reputable mechanic repair damages to your car.
- If your mobile phone was stolen call your provider to deactivate it.
Informing us about a break-in is simple, just fill out this form on our website. You can also email us via email@example.com – we're available to respond 24 hours per day, seven days a week. Or you can call our claims hotline on 321 6808 or fax us the details on 321 6528.
We offer various levels of vehicle protection depending on your situation – we'll be happy to talk you through all the options. If you're a relative newcomer to auto insurance, we will plainly provide you with comprehensive information to ensure you understand everything regarding our policies.